Forum Home Forum Home > RECORDLINKwriter > Tech stop
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Error message

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Graham Reed View Drop Down

Quote Graham Reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Error message
    Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 9:32am
We are trialing RLw, and have installed it on a few machines to test it. On a machine which is shared by both staff and students, when a student logs in and opens word/outlook/etc, I get 2 error messages:

---
Failed to load assembly.

Cache, Version=7.104.9.0, Culture= neutral, PublicKeyToken=21f532fe36bf9cd6
---
Message 2:

An error occured loading the RecordLink writer library:

Could no load file or assembly 'Cache, Version=7.104.9.0, Culture= neutral, PublicKeyToken=21f532fe36bf9cd6' or one of its dependencies.

The system cannot find the file specified.
---

Any ideas?
Mark McMorran View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mark McMorran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 11:53am
Graham

From what you have said it sounds like the students don't have permission to load the SIMS DLLs.

When Word loads the plugin it auto-loads any dependent DLLs.

Please can you confirm that students have file permissions to
read the SIMS dlls?

Thanks

Mark McMorran

Quote Graham Reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 2:19pm
Hi Mark

I can confirm that students DO NOT have access to these local PC files, we specifically deny this access.

I am checking to see if giving access stopped the errors, but ideally we don't want to do that on a permenant basis. Ideally we just don't want to see the errors!

Graham
Mark McMorran View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Mark McMorran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 2:55pm
Graham

Thanks for the confirmation.

On that basis I guess you don't want the toolbar to appear at all for students?

Unfortunately Office toolbars are installed per machine not per user. (Registry entries stored in HKLM not HKCU)

To add to this problem if an Office application fails to load a plugin it disables the plugin and the user must re-enable it before it appears again. Therefore it is likely that a further side affect is that the toolbar is no longer available for staff.

One option is to try to fail silently if we can't see the SIMS DLLs however this may not be desirable in other cases. This behaviour could be enabled by a registry value deployed by another MSI or GPO.

We will do some further investigation and see if we can find a solution.

Mark

Quote Graham Reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 4:39pm
Hi Mark

Thank you for your efforts with this.

I think you have stated what we would idealy like: If the dll are not available, we have not error messages, and (as currently happens fine) the toolbars are blanked out.

I have tested, and when a staff member then logs in, the tool bars work fine. All we need if for the error messages to no appear (silently fail), and the toolbars to blank out, as the currently do!

Brilliant!

Thanks

Graham
 Post Reply Post Reply